#54794, "RE: Titanic's Bridge Wing Cabs - Minicraft 1/350 - Question to Art " In response to In response to 0
I used the original bridge wing cabs, but re-faced them on the outboard and after sides with pieces cut from .005" styrene. The tops are scratchbuilt from thicker (.010" or .015") styrene. Then on the forward sides I cut a single .005" piece that covered the entire forward surface the bridge windows, the bulwarks on either side and the forward side of the wing cabs. That was after filling and sanding any joints first with white styrene putty and then finishing them with Mr. Surfacer (much as one would do with bodywork on a car), as .005" styrene is so thin that it will conform to any surface imperfections beneath it unless they're very slight.
By doing all of the above, I was able to give my wing cabs crisp, clean edges and sharp, squared-off corners and window openings, and eliminate any visible joints.